There are so many reasons to love this soup; added protein-rich chick peas, carrots, celery and tomatoes make it more substantial and tastes even better on the second day. This vegetable-packed healthy soup recipe is inspired by caldo verde, a Portuguese soup made with kale, potatoes and linguica sausage. I had planned to make this healthy soup last night before I knew temperature is going to be in the single digits for much of the day.
As the mercury drops and the nights get cooler, all you need is dig into steaming bowl of this kale soup. And once you’ve tasted this version, you’ll become hooked on to this steamy, smoky, comforting dinner in one pot- ideal cool weather food.
This “green” soup made with veggies and mounds of shredded kale is ready in 40 minutes, and is wonderfully filling and satisfying.
1 pound chourizo, casings removed
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 medium onions, chopped fine
6-7 cloves garlic, minced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
2 carrots, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 cups (14 ounce can) chickpeas, boiled
3 medium size (14 ounce can) tomatoes, chopped fine
2 cups chicken stock
2 cup water
500 grams kale, stems and center ribs discarded and coarsely chopped
1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Break the chourizo roughly with hands and add to the pot. Cook the sausage until brown and the fat is rendered, about 3 to 5 minutes.
NOTE: Linguica is a smoked Portuguese pork sausage flavored with garlic and sweet paprika. It is one of the key ingredients of Caldo Verde. If you can’t find Linguica, you can substitute another smoked sausage, such as Chourico or even Spanish Chorizo.
- 1 pound chourizo, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine
- 6-7 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups (14 ounce) can chickpeas, boiled
- 3 medium size (14 ounce can) tomatoes, chopped fine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cup water
- 500 grams kale, stems and center ribs discarded and coarsely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon Red chili flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Break the chourizo roughly with hands and add to the pot. Cook the sausage until brown and the fat is rendered, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sausage with a slotted spoon to a bowl. . Add 1 tablespoon oil to fat in pot and cook onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped veggies and sauté for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Now add the chicken stock, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add drained chickpeas and tomatoes; cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir in sausage and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped kale. Mix gently with the vegetables and cook for a minutes till the leaves wilt. Turn off the heat, adjust the seasonings and serve hot.