Almost every cuisine has at least one signature dish featuring some type of meat paired with vegetables and slow simmered for hours. China is known for its red-stews and braised dishes. And on a cold winter day, nothing hits the spot quite like a big bowl of steaming pork stew.
Pork stew is a classic dish among Chinese with many variations. The pork (or the choice of meat) stewed in a combination of soy sauce and spices, sometimes hard-boiled eggs, tofu, mushrooms or bokchoy thrown in, soaks up a complex savory flavor making it very aromatic, falling-from-the-bone that goes very well with steamed rice.
900 grams (2 lbs.) pork ribs, 2 inch pieces
3 medium carrots, diced in 2” pieces
2 medium potatoes, cut in 2” pieces
1 medium white onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2” piece ginger, finely chopped
1 red chili
1/4th teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/4th teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon shaoxing Chinese cooking wine
1/4th teaspoon curry powder
6 cups chicken stock
Oil for searing the pork
1 packet Asian stew seasoning (you can buy from a Chinese grocery store) The spices can be bought separately also. Below are the pictures for reference:
- 900 grams (2 lbs.) pork ribs, 2 inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, diced in 2” pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, cut in 2” pieces
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2” piece ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chili
- ¼th teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼th teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon shaoxing Chinese cooking wine
- ¼th teaspoon curry powder
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Oil for searing the pork
- 1 packet Asian stew seasoning (you can buy from a Chinese grocery store). Spices can be bought separately.
- 2” cinnamon stick
- 2 nos. star anise
- 1 small piece ginseng
- ½ inch liquorice
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 dry red chili
- 15 pimento or all-spice berries
- Wash and pat dry the pork with paper towel.
- Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the pork pieces and cook until browned on all sides. Do it in batches.
- When the last of the meat is well browned, remove it all to a bowl.
- Remove all the extra oil leaving only 1 tablespoon in the pot, add ginger, garlic and red chili and sauté for a minute on medium-low heat.
- Add the chopped vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add pork pieces along with the stewing spices. Stir fry on high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, cooking wine, curry powder and salt. Bring it to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and let it simmer for 1 ½ hours. Check after 1 hour, stir and let it cook covered for 30 -40 minutes more till the meat is tender and falls of the bone. Serve with steamed rice.